Adare (Co. Co. Limerick) / Ath Dara
Site at the far end of the golf course, or through the Dunraven Estate.
Remains: church complete with tower and transept chapel; large sections of the convent and cloister; old gateway and some outbuildings; N.B. – abs relief of St. Francis in the cloister, traces of flower patterns on the top right tomb in the choir – at least two wooden statues are known to exist.
Begun in 1464 and dedicated to St. Michael two years later, Adare friary was one of the first Observant foundations, and was built by order of Thomas FitzGerlad, Earl of Kildare. The friars were able to remain until about 1578. They returned in 1633 and remained, except for a brief period during the Cromwellian persecution, until the middle of the following century.