Tel: (065) 6828751
Fax: (065) 6822008
Founded around 1284, Ennis friary had a flourishing school in 1441; with the Reformation and the supression of religious houses, the final expulsion of the friars came in 1693. In 1766 there was no community here, but eight friars were working in the district.
The Ennis friars used variouis places of refuge over the years, including Roosca, Doolough Lake, Lysaght’s Lane and Bow Lane in Ennis town.
The present friary was acquired in 1854, and the new church opened in 1856. Ennis was the Provincial Novitiate House from 1877 to 1902. It is at present the Novitiate House of the Irish Province.
- Sundays: Saturday Vigil 7.30pm, 7.45 (Poor Clare Monastery), 9.30, 10.30 (children), 12.00 noon
- Weekdays: 7.45 (Poor Clare Monastery) 10.00am, 1.05pmSaturdays: 10.00am & 7.30pm Vigil
- Holy Days: 7.30pm (vigil on the eve of the holy day) 7.45 (Poor Clare Monastery) 10.00am, 12.00 noon, 1.05pm
- Bank Holidays: 8:30 (Poor Clare Monastery) & 12.00 noon
- Monday: a retreat/quiet day for the friars.
- Tuesday to Friday: 11.00 – 12.30pm, 3.00 – 5.30pm
- Saturdays: 11.00 – 1.00pm, 2.00 – 5.30pm
SECULAR FRANCISCAN ORDER: Meeting on first Wednesday of the month, after 10.00am Mass
and also at 7.30pm in St Anthony’s Hall
Franciscan Missionary Union: enquire at reception
Prayer Group: Meeting at St Anthony Hall Francis Street, Tuesdays 8:30pm.
Friary Choir: contact Michelle Hennessy or any of the Friars
Play and Pray group: contact Catherine Fitzpatrick through the Friary Office.
Mon to Sat : 9:30 – 12:50 and 13:30 to 18:00
Bank holidays – Closed