Enniscorthy (Co. Wexford) / Inis Corthaigh
The site was just off the present Abbey Square.
Remains: most of the stones were used to build the catholic cathedral in the last century; an old doorway belonging to the friary is still preserved at Lett’s Brewery.
Founded in 1460, probably for the Observants, by a Cavanagh, little is know of the history of Enniscorthy friary before its suppression in 1540. The friars remained on and three of them were killed when the friary was plundered by Sir Henry Wallop in 1582. The rest of the community had dispersed by the end of the century. The friars returned between 1642 and 1650, and again from 1661 on. By 1688 they were involved in parish work and the history of the friar fades into obscurity towards 1750.