GPS: 54.344300 -6.653406 (Friary Road)
The site – off the A3 – of the 13th century friary is found just inside the gate of the residence of the Anglican Archbishop.
Remains: three walls of the church, part of the transept chapel, all recently excavated.
History: There were friars in Armagh as early as 1241, but the permanent foundation there dates to 1263-4 and Archbishop Maol Padraig Ó Sgannail op. It’s likely that the friars left their old house when the English took over the city in 1551, but they certainly remained in hiding within the city. Friars were found and flogged in 1587. Places of refuge were situated at Brantry (Tyrone) and Creggan (Armagh).