GPS: 51.948255 -7.84333
The site is now occupied by the Presentation Convent. There are no significant remains.
Tradition has it that the first friars to arrive in Ireland landed at Youghal and that their first foundation was made in the town. Work on a permanent building began under the patronage of Maurice FitzGerald, Justiciar of Ireland, about 1235. The friary was the scene of an unusual incident when the sheriff raided it to seize goods which had been left in the safe keeping of the friars. This was done to pay the taxes of the owner of the goods, John le Juvene. In 1460 Youghal became one of the first houses to adopt the Observant reform. The friars were able to remain in or near their old building until 1583, when it was destroyed by the English. The community probably withdrew to a place of refuge at Curraheen, but were able to re-establish a residence in Youghal in 1627. Forced out by the Cromwellians, the friars soon returned. However the difficulties of living in Youghal during the Penal period forced them to move to Co. Waterford (see under Curraheen).