James Lee was born in Dublin in 1930. He joined the Franciscans in 1948 and did his novitiate in Killarney where he received Angelus as his religious name. After his First Profession, he studied for the priesthood in both Galway and Rome where he was ordained in 1956.
Angelus ministered in different friaries in Ireland. He was appointed Guardian in Athlone and in Cork. However, he is mostly associated with the friary in Merchants’ Quay in Dublin where he lived for many years.
There he was director of the Franciscan Missionary Union that supports the work of the friars who have left the country for the sake of the Gospel. Among the activities he ran to fund the Franciscan missionary effort was the nightly bingo then held for decades in the FMU hall on Merchants’ Quay.
A quiet, unassuming man Angelus touched the lives of many with his kindness, his generous dedication to Franciscan missions, and his fidelity to carrying out sacramental ministry in our churches.
On 18th February in the Dublin Friary, Angelus went home to God surrounded by the Franciscan fraternity and several of his relatives.
May he rest in the peace of Christ.