Aran (Inishmore, Co. Galway) / Arainn Mhor
Site near St. Eany’s Round Tower in Killeany.
Remains: noting substantial, since the stones were used to build Arkin’s Castle in 1587.
Probably begun in 1485 for the Conventual friars, Aran friary seems to have died with the arrival of Sir John Rawson about the year 1587. Weak efforts to restore the friary about 1640 were unsuccessful.