Remains: the tower and part of the choir wall are incorporated into the present church; N.B. – the tomb of the Barons of Cahir and associated sculptures, including an early trades-man’s tomb-stone and a stone baptismal font.
Founded in 1269, probably by Sir Otho de Grandison, the friary became Observant in 1536, four years before it was suppressed. The friars remained on in the town and were able to open an official residence in 1616. After the Restoration, we find them living in Irishtown. During the eighteenth century, the helped the parish clergy in the parish church. Having obtained the old friary once again, they were able to re-open it for Catholic worship in 1828. The friars had a small school from 1873 to 1881. The church proved too small, so the present church was built, in what the architect believed was Early English style, and formally opened in 1886. Since then, the friary residence has been added (in 1891-92) and a small St. Anthony Chapel built (1959).