There are now no major remains on the presumed site, that of the courthouse.
We are inclined to forget that Downpatrick was one of the two major towns in the Earldom of Ulster and we should not be surprised that the Earl himself, Hugh de Lacy, brought the friars there about 1235. It was burned by Bruce in 1316. An Anglo-Irish foundation, Downpatrick friary remained Conventual right up to the Reformation. Despite oppression, the friars remained on until three were killed by an English force in 1575. Observant friars returned to the town in 1627 and remained until the Cromwellian period. For later history, see under Dromore.