GPS: 52.330224 – 9.773745
Site off R551 in fields about a mile north-east of the village and the cathedral.
Remains: the church and transept chapel are complete, as is the tower, which is situated in an unusual position; a small section of the convent still stands, with the cloister; the friary church should be visited in conjunction with the almost identical cathedral.
The friars were invited to the area by Thomas FitzMaurice about the year 1253. It remained a Conventual foundation to about 1517 and was taken over as a barracks in 1584. The friars returned in 1613, after which they came and went as circumstances permitted throughout the rest of that century and afterwards until at least as late as 1763. More