GPS: 54.0897720 -8.518948
The site is near the present Catholic Church.
Remains: almost complete church, with traces of the convent.
A Third Order friary, founded in 1442, was taken over by the First Order about 1643. The friars used the site for about a hundred years after this.
The Anton McDonagh chalice is the only memorial left today, whose association with the Franciscan Friary at Ballymote is stamped on it. The inscription on the base of the Chalice in abbreviated Latin translates, “For the Convent of the Friars Minor of Ballymote: Friar Anton McDonagh had it made: September 1688″. This precious vessel was in Ballymote for the celebration of the 550th anniversary of the coming of the Franciscans. Friar Anton McDonagh was a guardian of the Friary.