GPS: 53.9904518 -7.361709
The site was that of the present graveyard in Abbey St.
Remains: the tower is complete, but in a much altered condition.
The town of Cavan grew up around the friary founded, according to tradition, by Giolla-Losa O’Reilly, Lord of Breffny, about 1300. The friary was burned by the English in 1468. After the community adopted the Observant reform, many of them were drowned in a boating accident in 1516. Despite the Suppression, the friars were able to remain on until 1608. They returned in 1616, but community life slowly became impossible. The remaining friars began to act as parish clergy. There were seven Franciscans working in the area in 1800, and still two in 1820, of whom the last died in 1826.