Sadly, the friars departed Clonmel in January 2023.
Therefore the Franciscan church and Friary office are now closed.
ClonmelCo. Tipperary E91 x9TS
Tel: 052-6121378 and 052-6121200
GPS: 52.352551 -7.700193
Filial House of Waterford
Founded in 1269, probably by Sir Otho de Grandison, it was suppressed in 1540 and reopened in 1616. After the Restoration, the friars lived in Irishtown. During the eighteenth century, they helped the parish clergy in the parish church.
Having obtained the old friary once again, they were able to re-open it for Catholic worship in 1828 on the site of the present church. The present church was built, in what the architect believed was Early English style, and formally opened in 1886. The tower and part of the choir wall are incorporated into the present church. Since then, the friary residence has been added (in 1891-92) and a small St. Anthony Chapel built (1959). More ….