GPS: 53.332686 -8.400722
The site is just on the northern side of the village.
Remains: the church is complete, with tower and transept chapel; the east range of the convent and some sections of the cloister remain; N.B. – two excellent flamboyant tombs in the nave, several carvings, in particular an owl, under the tower; a wooden statue of Our Lady also exist.
Despite some evidence to the contrary, Kilconnell friary was founded by William O’Kelly, Lord of Uí Máine in 1414. The Observant reform was introduced before 1464.
The friary is unusual in that it seems to have escaped suppression right up to the Cromwellian period, although the friars had to abandon the building for short periods. A strong local tradition places their final departure just before the Battle of Aughrim in 1691, but this is rather unlikely. In fact they were working in the area during most of the eighteenth century – there were two at Monabraithre in 1709, ten in 1766. Some of these friars ministered as diocesan clergy. By 1801 it would seem that the last friar had left.