GPS: 52.392201 -6.947265
The friary was in the area of Francis Street/Priory Lane. Nothing now remains on the site, although some tomb-slabs from the friary have been re-erected at St Mary’s Church.
The Earl of Pembroke made a foundation in New Ross for the Crossed Friars about 1195, while the Franciscan Friars came to the town about 1250. When a drunken Crossed Friar killed a townsman, the citizens drove his Order from the town and gave their building to the Franciscans. The community remained Conventual right up to 1558, when the friars were finally expelled after a number of false alarms. The Observants came and set up a residence in 1615. Expelled during the Cromwellian period, the friars soon returned and remained for another century, finally departing about 1750.