GPS: 52.952658 -7.799782
The site is the entrance gate to the grounds of the Catholic Church.
Remains: the tower still stands, as do large sections of the church.
Roscrea was a late Conventual foundation, before 1477. The actual building dates to 1490-8, sponsored by Molrony O’Carroll and his wife, Bibiana. The community escaped suppression until 1579, when two friars were captured during an English raid. One was killed, the other abandoned his religion. He was re-converted by Fr. Donagh Mooney during a mission and returned to the friars until his death. An Observant residence was set up in Roscrea about 1645 and lasted for about a hundred years, except during times of persecution (1650-8 and again in 1670-89).