Waterford. X91 VK44
Tel: (051) 874262
GPS: 52.259733 -7.108790
52.260483 -7.106958 (Medieval)
The original friary (one of the first in Ireland) was founded 1240. With the turmoil of the Reformation the church was turned into a hospital for the poor in 1541. A new house was built in 1612. The friars, of whom there were only two in 1766, lived mostly in Johnstown. The Franciscans came to the present site in 1830: the friary was built in 1833 and church completed in 1834. However the church was not opened for several years afterwards due to opposition on the part of the local bishop. The church was expanded in 1905-8 and again in 1931-3 and consecrated in 1944. The present friary was built in 1928.
The Friary in Waterford is situated in the centre of the bustling city, beside a busy shopping centre. The Church provides all the usual Church services, with frequent Masses, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and parlour ministry. Read more…