Franciscan Friary,
Lady Lane,
Waterford.  X91 VK44

GPS: 52.259733 -7.108790
         52.260483 -7.106958 (Medieval)

The original friary (one of the first in Ireland) was founded 1240. With the turmoil of the Reformation the church was turned into a hospital for the poor in 1541. A new house was built in 1612. The friars, of whom there were only two in 1766, lived mostly in Johnstown. The Franciscans came to the present site in 1830: the friary was built in 1833 and church completed in 1834. However the church was not opened for several years afterwards due to opposition on the part of the local bishop. The church was expanded in 1905-8 and again in 1931-3 and consecrated in 1944. The present friary was built in 1928.

In May 2019 the Franciscans Friars departed Waterford Friary. The friars in Clonmel travel daily to the Franciscan church in Lady Lane for Masses and Confessions.

The friary was given over by the Franciscans to a community of nuns – the Sisters of the Morning Star.      


Read more…