The exact site is uncertain and there are no significant remains. Monaghan was the site of one of the late Conventual foundations, about 1462. The MacMahons protected the friars. Although it had suffered an attack in 1540, the friary was not evacuated until it was sacked by an English army in 1589, by which time the community had become Observant. The friars returned about 1635 and, apart from the Cromwellian period, continued to reside in the town for most of that century. In the first half of the eighteenth century the community gradually dispersed and became involved in parish activity.