Mons Pietatis (Co. Mayo)

This mysterious friary, somewhere in Co. Mayo, first appears in official documents in 1645, implying a foundation about 1643.  Papal approval was sought in 1663 and a superior was appointed in 1672.  This is the last real evidence for a franciscan connection, although the name remained in use during the eighteenth century.  Given a strong local tradition, Killedan, west of Kiltamagh, seems the most likely site.