The site is on the edge of the village, behind the Catholic church.
Remains: church, tower, transept chapel, friary and some outbuildings are complete; note how the ruins of the old castle have been skillfuly incorporated into the friary, also the gigantic tomb of the Butlers of Dunboyne in the room beside the refectory.
Quin was founded for the Observants on the basis of permission obtained by Sioda Cam MacNamara in 1433. It was built on the ruins of a de Clare castle founded in 1280. Under O’Brien protection, the friars were able to live on after the Suppression.
Despite the partial destruction of the building in 1583, the friars did not depart, but repaired the damage. Thee was a small community of three living there in 1615. Three friars were killed in an attack on the building in 1651, after which the remaining friars withdrew for a couple of years. On their return, the friars worked in Quin until about 1740, when they moved to a house at near-by Drim. There were three friars at Drim in 1766, working as parish clergy. The last friar of Quin, Fr. John Hogan, worked at Drim until his death in 1820.