The Season of Creation has a special significance for the Francis Family.
Pope Francis established 1 September as an annual World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation. The Season of Creation is marked throughout the Christian world from 1 September to 4 October (Feast of St. Francis of Assisi) and celebrates the joy of creation as well as encouraging awareness-raising initiatives to protect the natural environment.
Pope Francis tells us: “We need to strengthen the conviction that we are one single human family. The Earth, our home, is beginning to look more and more like an immense pile of filth. In many parts of the planet, the elderly lament that once beautiful landscapes are now covered with rubbish. Never have we so hurt and mistreated our common home as we have in the last 200 years. We are not God. The Earth was here before us and was given to us. The idea of infinite or unlimited growth, which proves so attractive to economists, financiers and experts in technology … is based on the lie that there is an infinite supply of the earth’s goods, and this leads to the planet being squeezed dry at every limit. Yet all is not lost. Human beings, while capable of the worst, are also capable of rising above themselves, choosing again what is good, and making a new start.”
A prayer for our earth from Laudato Si’
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe and in the smallest of your creatures.
You embrace with your tenderness all that exists.
Pour out upon us the power of your love, that we may protect life and beauty.
Fill us with peace, that we may live
as brothers and sisters, harming no one.
O God of the poor,
help us to rescue the abandoned and forgotten of this earth, so precious in your eyes.
Bring healing to our lives,
that we may protect the world and not prey on it, that we may sow beauty, not pollution and destruction.
Touch the hearts
of those who look only for gain
at the expense of the poor and the earth.
Teach us to discover the worth of each thing, to be filled with awe and contemplation, to recognize that we are profoundly united with every creature as we journey towards your infinite light.
We thank you for being with us each day.
Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle
for justice, love and peace.
Recommended reading for the Season of Creation 2020
- Laudato Si‘ – the 2015 encyclical letter from Pope Francis.
- Querida Amazonia– the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation from Pope Francis
- Pope Francis’ message for the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation 2020.
- Trócaire: 100 ways for parishes to implemet Laudato Si’
- Message of Pope Francis for the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation 2019.
- Message of Pope Francis for the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation 2018
- Show Mercy to our Common Home– Message of Pope Francis for the World Day of Prayer for Creation 2016
- Saint John Paul II’s Peace with God the Creator, Peace with All of Creation (1990)
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s If You Want to Cultivate Peace, Protect Creation(2010)
- The Cry of the Earth – A Call to Action for Climate Justice, a pastoral reflection on climate change from the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference