Stradbally (Co. Laois) / An Sraidbhaile
There are no significant remains on the site at the back of the Convent school
The early history of the friars in Stradbally is confusing. The building was erected by Lord O’Moore about 1447 for the Conventual friars. The friary escaped suppression until 1569, probably due to its small size. The community went into hiding. Three of them were discovered in 1588 and were hung, drawn and quartered near Abbeyleix. Two friars returned to the area in 1642, but were forced to leave during the Cromwellian persecution. There seems to have been no really serious effort to return to the area after this.